Follow @Mr_McCrackelz

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Crackpot Theory: Dr. Shultz is kind of a Dick.


DJANGO UNCHAINED SPOILERS!!!



Get it?


Got it?


OK.

So I finished watching "Django Unchained" again the other night, and I felt I was right about it the first time, its Tarantino's best movie. Its so hard to watch, yet so painfully funny, that the only other thing I've ever seen remotely like it was the marginally inferior "Inglorious Bastards." That's good company to keep, no question.

But something really bothered me the second time around. When Shultz was about to give Django everything he ever wanted after he had spent the last winter giving Shultz everything he wanted...Shultz goes and shoots Candie in the chest.

"No, my Gatsby face is completely different. Why does everyone keep saying that?"

Yes, it sets up the grand finale and allows Django the opportunity to break himself out of a slave drive for once, but come on. The only reason Shultz shot him was to move the story along. Everything we had understood about the character says he would never do that to either Django or Hildy. When he kills Candie he signs Django's death warrant and he would have known that.

"Hey, yeah...what the hell Waltz?!
There's better ways to keep the story development right where it is without making Shultz so selfishly suicidal. Like what if Candie tried to club him to death when closing in for the hand shake? What if Candie never really intended to let them leave?  Its a humongous plot hole in an otherwise wonderful movie, that's why I'm bothering to whine about it. Django's worth it, and he deserved better from the good doctor.

I'll play myself out:







No comments :

Post a Comment